Tuesday 3 March 2020

Minimalism, De-cluttering, Housework

I have been a fan of minimalism for a while now, at least five years.  Marie Kondo had written her 2nd world wide best-seller on the life-changing magic of tidying up and I went through my house looking for joy in all my possessions, category by category.  (I never did get to the sentimental items category - they all give me joy! Let's go with that.) 

I am a sucker for anything that says that it will make my housework easier.   I've Enjoed. I've Ekoworked.  I've Konmaried.  I've filled bags with garbage and taken bags to Vinnies.  My garage is still full of stuff transitioning from the house to somewhere else.  I pretend that it isn't there.  If you put your hands over your face you can barely see it. (I can still park the car in there though, so that's something.  Luckily it's a four car garage.  Jokes, jokes.)

I've also read lots of sites about housework, I tend to gravitate to the lazy, reasonably clean, I'm a closet slob end of the market; hence minimalism.  Unfortunately, Minimalism butts uneasily with the other household management idea in my head, Frugality. 

Does this ugly whatever give me joy?
No, but spending money on a new one will give me the opposite of joy.  So it stays.

I go through stages where I get pretty ruthless, occasionally followed by someone asking for something, e.g. a scap piece of fabric in the right shade of blue, (I have crafty children).
Sorry chucked that!
Mum!?!
No joy!
Aagh, groan, door slam.

Then I'll go through stages of "prepping".  No "bug-out" kits but definitely a few extra packets of toilet paper.  It's a family full of girls, we need a lot.

Which is a long way of saying that I still have too much stuff and my house is not always reasonably clean and I would have thought that by now I would have had this down. This makes me think that like many other things in life the trick to housework and de-cluttering is consistency.  So I'll use this blog to keep me accountable.  I've heard it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment